Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snow Day

An interesting thing happenned. It actually really snowed. Not just the little flurries we had before Thanksgiving, but a good decent snow, for a whole day or 2.


Everythin was great, except it was a Saturday. and I guess snowplows dont run then, or the salt trucks, etc... So after 4-5 hours of driving up and down our street, we had about 3/4" of ice, covered by a little snow. This is the view up our street.


As Iw as coming home with Judah, right about where that silver car is on the right, I realized I was not going to be able to stop completely. That was a problem, because I needed to make the turn into here (Imagin you are standing in the road, and turn to your right to see our driveway):

I thought having 20 feet would help, but as my tires turned to the left, and nothing happenned, I realized I had a problem (Now turn to the right again):


I made it down to the corner, and turned around. At that point I made it about half way up the hile, and something even worse happenned. Dorothy, The Dodge Caravan, couldnt go up the hill! Now I am in an even worse position. I am facing uphill, but I cannot go anywhere. MY car is beginning to slide backwards, and getting crooked. Behind me is a parked car.

I tell Judah, "Hop out of the car" but as I do, she opens the car door, and the van starts moving! I scream "Get back in the car, Stay in the car". I now realize Im in pretty bad shape. I am at a 45 degree angle, facing uphill, with a parked car behind me. I put the van in park, and it seems to hold!

I get out, and I push the back of the van sideways trying to get it stright. I think it might have moved a little, because all of a sudden it is sliding. At this point, Im not in the car that is crooked facing uphill that cannot stop completely, but my daughter is! As the car door hit my shins (I got hit with my own car) I hopped in. At that point, I realized I simple had to go for it. I had to use momentum, and hope I got some traction somewhere. I actually got totally sideways, and was able to turn around completely before I hit the car. I pulled the car over to the side of the road (It is in front of that Bronco).

At that point, adrenaline and God only knows what else released, and I felt a lot better. Until I heard these words:

"Daddy, you said a bad word back there"....

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

welcome to winter in the midwest! It makes you say and do things you wouldn't normally say.

Danie's cousin, JB