Friday, November 23, 2007

Turkey Results Pt 1

Well thankfully, it was a fairly good success. I learned a LOT, and realized later I should have done it by myself first, then cooked for other people.

I used 2 small turkeys, 10 pounders. They were Deistel turkeys, with no brining in them at purchase etc... these are different than other turkeys as the arent injected with brine, arent raised to be super fat, etc...

The first one I put in the oil at 300F. At first, it really seemed as if my thermometer was 20-30 degrees off! The weather was about 25-30 degrees, a little bit of wind. It took about 45 mins for the oil to get hot,a s I couldnt see the flame, and was nervous about how the oil would heat up, so I started slow, and increased the flame until it got to 300.

I out the first turkey in, and didnt have enough oil to completely cover. About 1/4-1/2 inch low. I let it run like that for a bit, and then added more oil after I saw the temp come up. I had a difficult time getting the oil over 300, and ended up opening the valve and carb all the way. It finally got to about 320. I think with the cold weather, and the lack of heat in the beginning, momentum was against me.

I noticed the oil temp pick up quite a bit, which gave me the indicator that the turkey was about half way done. I backed the heat off a little to make sure I didnt cross 325-350. I pulled the turkey and temped it in the breast, and then where the thigh and the breast meetm whcih should be the last place to hit temp.

My plan was to pull at 151, and let it finish to 160-161. My first readings were low, so I put it back in for 5 minutes, and then pulled again. I actually dropped my thermometer in the oil! Deep Fried Thermo.

I had to go another 5 minutes or so, and found that my breat temp was 160! The thigh was 150. I pulled it, and then put the next turkey in.

The first turkey did have a slightly pink section at the fron of the breat. Im betting a few things happened:

1. Turkey was not thawed as much as I thought.
2. Oil wasnt high enough, and that was the section that wasnt 100% covered the whole time.
3. Turkey cooked unevenly because of above theories. Some of the breast meat was a little dry, as was some of the dark. some of the white meat was a little under, although to be honest I KNOW it was over 140 for a long enough time, it would have been great to keep it aside and use it for leftovers because reheateing would cook it perfect.

With the second turkey, I ed the heat from the beginning, and was able to keep the oil at 320-325. This bird cooked a lot faster (about 20-25 mins actually vs 30-35 mins for first bird, I forgot to measure exactly). I pulled it about 5 minutes after I saw the temps going up, checked it a little low, and then put it back in for about 5 mins. I pulled it,a nd this one was on 150-151 in the thigh, 160 in the breast.

The second turkey was much more evenly cooked, and juicy. My thoughts on this one are:

1. Turkey sat out for about 15 mins while other one cooked. A little more thawing.
2. Oil was completely covering and hot BEFORE it was inserted.
3. I cooked it faster.

One odd thing was the sin was MEGA crispy at first, but then softened up. I dont know why that is.

Next time Im going to try a 15 pounder, and get the heat at 350.
Im also going to build some wind blocks around the base both to keep wind from messing with the flame, but also to make it a little darker so I can see the flame and adjust it better.

It was suggested, and I agree, that we have a deep frying party. Everyone brings something to dip, and we go for it, kind of like Cajun Fondue. In fact, we might call it FunDue.

Another idea was to go to BurningMan, and bring lots of fishing poles. We sit in a circle, and put fish sticks on the end (with wire) and drop them in, then reel them out. It will be called "Deep Fat Fishing".

1 comment:

Christina Wolkenfeld said...

Thanks for the update on the turkey, i was wondering. did you save some for me to try? yummmmmmmm