Saturday, November 24, 2007

Prophetic vs. Sentimental

We went last night and saw August Rush with the kids, and some friends, and their kids. I have come immediately to terms with a few things...

1. It is ridiculous that you can go to a movie with a certain rating, and see previews for any movie with a higher rating. I went to a PG movie, and saw previews for PG-13 movies.

2. It isnt comfortable to see previews in a theater, because I cannot fast forward them, or skip them. At one point, all the Bohlender Boys, myself, and my kids all simultaneously turned our eyes to the side during a makeout scene involving a woman in her underwear.

The other thing that really struck me is that the BEST humans can come up with is sentimentality. At times, they transcend into myth, and those myths ultimately, if they are stirring the heart, eventually have their root in Gods heart or design. But for the most part, humans are anesthetized by a regular dose of sentimentality.

I, by the Grace and Mercy of God, know God. Not as well as I like, but better I realize at times. By definition, Im also prophetic because I am a born again believer who has received the Spirit who now lives in me communicating God both to me, and in miraculous situations (due to His ability to override my flesh) even through me.

I have met scores and scores of people like me. They all have a story of how and when God did what and how, and in hindsight how profound and powerful it was that He could connect the dots. How life changing it was, how awesome and awe inspiring, and how deeply it touched our heart. Heck, it just happenned last week.

So you go see a movie, and you need to realize that more often than not, some human, with a gift for writing, conjures up the best of human experience, and writes something out. And the result is PABLUM. In fact, it is dangerous because if you arent aware of it, you begin to have the majority of your profound experiences of the heart via 3rd party, fake, sentimental experiences that are of human (hopefully) origin.

This is really a problem. You become "In Love with Love". Not In Love itself, but in Love with the feeling of Love, or heartbroken by the experience of heartbrokeness. Your heart is fed a steady diet of junk food experience, and all of it is at best vicarious, and at worst completely unconnected to reality (such as a movie).

At the same time, symbolism, art, imagery, when God ordained, Spirit led, or even just honestly inspiried, transcends simple experience, and draws upon the Spirit itself. It causes the longing of a human heart to manifest, and have a true answer, all in the same experience. It is EDIFYING
more than UPLIFTING.

See, I know God. So silly little cathartic scense like Good Will Hunting dont do it for me. A little tiny come to the truth scene on a movie doesnt compare with a drop down, drag out, crying from the depths of your soul until your stomach muscles are sore encounter with God who explains to you that He has known you your whole life, and hurts and aches with pain over your circumstances. Then you KNOW the Truth. You experience it spirit, soul, and body.

It doesnt have to be soap operas like mine have been, but it goes WAY past an emotional experience. It is an encounter. An unless you see that authentic spirit in something else, all I find myself doing is yawning. Im not jaded, quite the opposite. Im hungry, and I have eaten meat, and baby food sentimental emotion is a waste of my time.

Thank God for His Grace!!!!

No comments: