Sunday, January 27, 2008

Culinary Arts

Well I had my first day as a teacher! It was odd, and fun.

Jr High: The Jr High class is a lot more work. Thankfully, I have 2 rockin assistants! WOW. Erica Bost, and Terry Hartley, as well as Amy Ann Hartley for High School.

There is 30 kids in this class. Of course, the boys grouped together in the middle of room, and the girls had grabbed the other tables. The boys turned out to be quite a problem. I really had to back down, because as the first day goes, I dont even know these boys well. I actually yelled at them at one point, told them to shut up once or twice, and said some other things that I think flew over their heads like:

"If I needed your help teaching my class, I would ask you" or "If I thought your comments on everything everyone else said were relevant, I would ask for your input".

I cannot remember the other things. Anyhow, I dont blame them. I still cant sit still in an environment like that. It drives me crazy.

We broke them up into 5 teams of 5, I think there are more kids however. LOL. Anyway, the girls whined about having boys in their group, but thankfully, God had mercy and distibuted the boys fairly well. They are going to do Lasagna.

Sr High:

This groups is a lot more calm. They still have their moments. Many of them are flat out goofy. One student did bring me chocolate (dark) which I informed everyone in advance that if they did bribe me with dark chocolate, it ensured them an A. Good on him. It is a Fraser boy, and you can see how his Dad got to be such a bigwig! LOL.

This class got broken up into 4 teams of 5. 3 of the teams want to do something with chicken. 1 Team is going to do lasagna. This is harder, but they all wanted to go for it. Each team is offering me 3 ideas, I will pick out of the 3, and we will go for it. Im excited about this class.

One odd thing, I felt very led when I introduced myself to share my story with them. All of a sudden I felt like telling them what my High School experience was like, and the ugly parts of it, and the subsequent immediately after it. I think many of these kids wont have nearly the same experience, I think it is important to share thsi with them anyhow. We will see later why I hope.

I am now part of the establishment. I avoided it for 37 years. Thankfully, I am in a school that is very new, and very different. I think even my own Dad might like the way it works (He and I both hated school). Im challenged, but confident. I love cooking, and I hope that I can helpt hese kids. In reality, this class is just an excuse to encourage, assist, develop, be with these kids as they are making transitions out into the marketplace.

1 comment:

JudahLion said...

But we didn't. So what i already did today