Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Boaz was not a hero....

A few years back I had a little revelation about Boaz, and how he was fulfilling a commandment.

Basically, Boaz left grain in the fields for the "gleaners". These folks were the poor (widows, orphans, and aliens). There is commandments (not suggestions) in Leviticus that direct any land owner to ensure there is something for the poor. When you read the passages, there is something communicated that I think is even more heart felt.

The idea is that as you harvest, you make sure you DONT go back for the last amounts of grain scattered about when you tied up the sheaves. You intentionally leave it there, around the edges of your farm. This will allow people to come and "glean", or pick up the left overs so they have food to eat. The people allowed to glean are those in the Isrealite society that were incapable of providing for themselves.

The fact the grain is left around the edges is important too. It means that for the most part, someone could gather the grain, without having to be exposed in the middle of an empty field for being poor, and a "gleaner".

But here is the point. This isnt a suggestion. This is a command. It is to be part of your business plan so to speak. This is more than a command, it is THE LAW, or more directly, THE TORAH.

I suggest, Boaz wasnt a hero. He was simply obedient (interesting word here, as I believe his sone was named OBED?) to the Torah. A good Jew.

Now his behavior AFTER was exemplerary, but even then, not unheard of. He was a kinsman redeemer. There was provision for that. Other people did that too. Although it sure is a beautiful story, and helps us see God.

However, what is THE TORAH? It is the revelation of God. It describes who He is. Sometimes by what He is not (check the 10 commandments), but in this case, by who He IS. It is inherent in Gods design and His Heart that He provides for the poor, the oppressed, and the lonely. And to be called one of His people, the Jews were called to The Torah. If they were to be His people, they were to obey. It was a sign to the other nations. The covenant between the husband (God) and the bride (the jew) was Torah.

You cannot be His Bride without His covenant.

What about now?

Some people think Jesus overcame the Torah. But He was clear He came to fulfill it. He never once broke Torah. And what is clear is the 1st century apostles that were born Jews, kept Torah. Jesus didnt put away the Torah, He fulfilled the ceremonial aspects of the 1st covenant by fulfilling it Himself. We dont have to sacrifice to be atoned for, our faith in His atonement is sufficient. There is no more sacrifice. But we dont now go ahead and lie, cheat, steal, commit adultery etc... It isnt as if these things are ok.

The Torah still stand, but the positional and ceremonial aspects of justification are met via faith, not the blood of animals.

This being my conviction, this would mean it isnt enough to give when led. It simply isnt enough. The Law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the Soul. Maybe more than just my Soul? Maybe that perfect Law also demonstrates Gods heart, and His commitment to me, and mine to Him, is
to obey. So I must do more than reflexively give. I must include giving to the widow, the orphan, and the alien as a part of my "business plan".

I cannot escape this. I must generously "leave something in the field". I dont try to squeez out every bit. I slosh a bunch of it around, and make sure no one is exposed by having to come through my field and pick it. In fact, I make it as easy and kind as I can. And I NEVER discriminate as to who comes through. I dont pick only pretty young girls, or Africans, or "full time" ministers who are single, people who fit my paradigm of a "gleaner" etc... I leave that to God.

I encourage you, if you own a business, to consider obedience to Torah as a reality. You simply MUST allow for the gleaners. Not as an afterthought, but as a pro-active commitment on the part of your business. If you dont "own a field", you have work somewhere. You have a harvest. You have the Torah, and you have the revelation of the Torah (Jesus/Yeshua).

Do you need anymore?

No comments: