Sunday, October 21, 2007

This old man, he played bass..

Well I sat in with a bunch of crazy youngins to play bass on a team at the new prayer room. I havent played bass with a team of musicians except for a conference this year, in probably 10 years.

It is a neat set up, and I felt pretty good. Having been playing guitar, and all my crazy gear, alone primarialy, for the last 3-4 years has had an interesting effect on my playing. In some ways, I have had to be more melodic, and more broad in my approach, and in others I havent had to pay attention to anyone else.

Sitting in this practice room, with these music academy students, interacting and playing was quite a treat. There are so many guitarists here that bass is a real need. And like most guitarists, I dont enjoy bass as much. But it is simple enough I can play, and engage. And I can get my chops and my ear back up to speed and get expressive. I havent played under an anointing like this for this long of a time before, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

The kids on the team are really sweet. They need some seasoning, which is funny for me to say! It is hard when you focus on learning your own instrument, and theory, and all sorts of instruction to stop and remember to play the song, the groove, the flow, not just your instrument. I had to remember that too!!!

I guess after I left, Kurt (the leader) told me they guitarist and the drummer said something like "He has some old school in him, I hope he brings that out"! LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I am an old school bass player. And I kind of like it! Even as I write this, I feel Holy Spirit touch my heart, and Im cryinging! What a long, strange trip it really has been.

Speaking of long strange trips, I see The Call is looking to go to Berkley, Ca. I just saw it, and my heart burst. I was there 20 years ago, tripping on LSD walking up and down those streets. Honestly, I had a pretty good time, despite the fact I was in sorcery, delusion, and about to lose my mind and God knows what else.

What wild place Im in as a person, living in as a community, experiencing as an environment and a culture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

too cool!

Anonymous said...

it just occurred to ask you about this... are they streaming ihop2 in any capacity yet? if not, I commission you to get me a soundboard of your next gig! ;-)