Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My new hobby

I certainly aint no Richard Lewellen or Fevere Bread, but Im making Pita. I have tried a basic recipe, and modulated it. I dont care if it actually has a pocket or not, and I like them bigger like a pizza sized flat bread, but it works the same small or big.

Here is my recipe if you want to try it. You can use a simple bread recipe, but this is a hybrid of ingredients, and method that gives a really good yummy bread.

5 cups total of Flour:
3-4 cups White Bread FlourRemaining Whole Wheat flour

2 teaspoons sea salt, or 3 teaspoons regular. Ground sea salt seems to be stronger, I like it better.

2 Tablespoon Honey, Agave Nectar, or Sugar

1 Packet Instant Yeast

2 Tablespoon OliveOil

2 Tablespoon Flax Seed Oil (Oilve Oil is ok, I just like a little flax)

2 Cups Warm Water

I take 3-4 cups of the flour, mix it with the Honey, Yeast, Oil, and Water, and blend it all together. Then I leave it sit for as long as possible, at least 2-3 hours in a warm spot, covered.
Then I add the remaining flour, and salt and knead it for as long as I can, until it forms up.
Typically about 6-10 minutes.

I roll it out as thin as possible in fairly big rounds, but you could do smaller. I put them in an oven preheated on broil for at least 30 minutes (basically as hot as it can go). I put them on the stones in the bottom of the oven for 3-5 minutes.

Sometimes I put olive oil and salt on them before cooking. Cumin is good too.

No comments: