Monday, April 21, 2008

Excursions in IHOP

I played my second set at IHOP today. Both times have been with the same team, at the JPR( Justice Prayer Room).

Last Thursday I had a great time. Kurt Weaver sat in for the leader, and I had played with Jurt a few times. It was a worship with the word set, which is a devotional type application of the Harp and Bowl model that allows the room to focus on particular bible passages, and reinterpret and develop them in the context of music.

It was the most fun I have had in years. I have been working hard to get my gear set up, and ready, and it paid off. Even though I was totally sleep deprived, I just flowed with it, and didnt think I made any terrible problems for anyone.

Today I had more fun than I probably have ever had. It was an Intercession set, and the actual leader was there. Good group of musicians, and of course, Im the oldest (and fattest). It is amazing what a great bass player will do for you, and this guy can play!!! The keyboardist is fascinating, she tries all sorts of alternate patches and synth parts, and is very competent so it adds so much. My job is to sit an noodle. Todd Phillips, eat your heart out.

The Intercession format is different, and typically more aggressive. The goal is to support the people there to get focused ont he prayer at hand being offered by the people who come up to the mikes. It goes in "cycles" just like the other type, but the content changes rapidly because the prayers are different.


The time went so fast. At one point, I hit that place where playing was effortless. I wasnt even thinking about what I was playing. In fact, most of it was like that (for good or bad!!!), but that magical place where you are flowing is addictive. And with others is wild.

I did find myself at times descend into performance! I cannot believe it. What an ugly thing. I would get focused on what I was playing, instead of simply playing in the mode of the room and the set. It was strange. If I want to avoid it, I have to guard against it. I cannot be passive. It slips in subtly.

It is a really interesting thing for me as well, being more improvisational, that the model of harp and bowl seems so restrictive. It is, in a sense. But in reality, it really is the least amount of structure to accommodate the most amount of flexibility I have seen. It is the talent and the creativity of the musicians that limits the actual model. We did some stuff today I havent heard around here, and no one is going to stop us. They arent the music police trying to get something. The point is to sub,it to the concept and the motive, which is universal, easy prayer for any person on staff, or dropping in, or watching on GodTV.

It does seem to have some roadblocks off the music side. The creativity level is VERY low as far as non musicians. If you dont pray out loud, and you dont play an instrument, there is very little for you here. And that is tragic. The musicians are set up like a concert, which is ridiculous. There isnt room to dance, and it isnt encouraged unless you are part of a special sub set of people here, and on and on..

There is a lot to grow into, but there is a lot here already. Im looking forward to developing my skill set, participate and help facilitate prayer, spend time in an anointed atmosphere, and then see how that translates out to BurningMan and other things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am very gladdened to hear things are developing for you musically as they should. things are in major deconstruction for me musically and i am battling to not let it depress me. i actually am selling my drums in the morning! It's for Hope so there is joy, and there is some pleasure in dying to myself in that way, though it feels like dying more than it really is, since i don't ever play anymore. But I had those drums for almost 20 years so i guess it was time.. it's only a thousand dollars but every thousand dollars at this point is a thousand less we have to charge on the credit card for our trip to China.. I dont play my guitars either so I'd sell those too if I thought I'd get any money for them.

The idea of playing music like your talking about seems at this point like I will have to wait for heaven to experience it...

Anonymous said...

Sean is my Pastor, I shall not want, he causes me to to be his IHOP bass groupie - and I am not ashamed. I finally found a place where "anonymous" can be redemmed. Thank you for that sean-a-lation.

Amen.

xo-jason