Monday, December 18, 2006

Just because you arent a Jew or a Muslim doesnt mean...

I am realizing something very annoying, and I think detrimental.

The world in general believes that "the West" is Christian. They say this within the context of "instead of a Jew or a Muslim". But it is completely untrue.

I am a christian. Not a very good one, but certainly someone in deep need of Mercy and Grace and I trust only Christ and Christ alone for forgivness and salvation. Not because Im caucasian, not because Im an american, not because Im a westerner.

The problem might also be with the idea of a "Jew". There is a difference (to me) between an Israeli, and a Jew. Israelis live in Israel, or come from there. A Jew is a religious term (again to me). I dont consider someone who goes to temple and fools around with Judaism simply because of a cultural history to be a Jew.

I DO tend to assume people with an Arabic or Persian ancestry to be Muslim unless they tell me otherwise. Again, there is a huge difference between someone who says they are Muslim, and the real people who observe all the tenets of Islam.

Anyhow, I hate the fact that someone assumes my neighbor is a Christian simply because they are American, Western, or White. Or they say they believe in God. It is odd to me. I am a Christian because of WHO I FOLLOW, not where I was born.

No comments: