Thursday, March 27, 2008

Why I believe the "Adption Industry" is the Human Trafficking Part 1

Tracie Loux, whom I love dearly, has written a great post on costs of adoption here. Tracie is an absolutely legitimate, caring person whom I heartily endorse to help with Adoptions. What I am about to say should not be taken as an attack against her, or the agency she works for etc... Read her blog post, and then follow my thoughts here.

Human Trafficking is the exploitation of humans for gain, typically financial. Most often, it is the use of weaker individuals, especially helpless, constrained, or disadvantaged.

Therefore, I believe that if I make a personal profit from the use of any human outside of their will and involvement, I am at least running the risk of participation in this, if not outright doing it.

It isnt enough to list the costs. The issue is WHY the costs exist, and what the profit is. I assume that most people involved in adoption do so because they care about it. But Im not convinced 100% of them are motivated by concern. Not only that, the burden of proof is on the agency to demonstrate they do not profit from this. "A workman is worth of his wages", this is true. However, there is a realistic limit on how much wages is righteous.

I am coming to the conviction that any adoption agency should make public their accounting, including specifically salary related to directors and executives. Any adoption agency that is not a non-profit corporation, business, should demonstrate they are effectively a "not for profit" business and expose any salary related disbursements. All Adoption agencies should be 3rd party audited if they make any claim to be non-profit, or not for profit.

How many agencies are willing to take this challenge. I bet next to none.....

3 comments:

sarah true said...

I have been feeling the same way and yet hadn't put it into words as you have. For me, I was pondering whether or not it was an American problem. Meaning, money is the bottom line for nearly everything in our country. I am with you that I in no way mean that the worker shouldn't get his wages. Clearly, I am not attacking Tracie or her agency. However, the stench of greed seems to permeate almost everything in our culture. I didn't want to speak too hastily because I am new to the adoption scene and therefore am ignorant to the process. But I guess, it spurs me on to pray for His Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. It makes me think of 1Timothy 6:10. But I also am thankful at the same time because Jesus has already won. From reading this blog and others and, oh yeah... the BIBLE, his heart is for the orphan. His plans will not be thwarted and HIS name will be glorified for His own sake.

Kelsey Bohlender said...

The truth is, our laws need to change before any of this can ever happen. Adoption agencies are not required to be not-for-profit. For profit agencies are entirely legal, even if not righteous. What is needed is governmental intercession to change laws.

There are a few true not-for-profit agencies out there, those who charge only the basic fees that cover minimal salary, legal fees (that are charged by each courthouse and attorney in each county in the good ole US of A).

The truth is until we (The Church) are willing to give up our own idolatry in every other area, this area will remain equally tainted.

C said...

I was terribly naive for a long time. I thought all agencies handled themselves like ours does. For instance,they make no bones about it:

"As a child-centered ministry, Buckner’s goal is to serve pregnant women and their unborn children in such a way that the children’s lives are affirmed and that they are parented in the best way possible. Thus, we serve a large number of pregnant women who inquire about adoption but who, after counseling, decide to continue to seek a way to parent. Only a small percentage of the clients we serve actually make adoption plans for their unborn babies – but almost all decide to give life. We provide these services at no cost. Therefore, the fees we charge adoptive parents must cover the services to all the pregnant women, not just the one whose baby they adopt. Indeed, prospective adoptive parents who work with us become a part of Buckner’s ministry to pregnant women and their unborn babies."

You are charged on a sliding scale based on your income ... if you have more to give, you are expected to do so ... equal sacrifice. You are not paying for an adoption - you are giving your part to the ministry, which encompasses much more than a child that may be entering your home. They make it very clear that every woman entering their doors is counseled first to parent. If every avenue has been exhausted, then and only then is adoption discussed.

Your money may also go to help place a child with special needs or a waiting child into a home that may not have the funds to cover their full fee. They don't apologize for that. In fact, they take pride in it.

Yup. I just assumed every private agency (especially Christian agencies) did it that way. Boy, have I had my eyes opened over the last several years!

By the way, someone pointed me to your blog today. I think I might be crazy about you! :) lol

I'll be back (said in my best Arnold voice).