Tuesday, February 26, 2008

AdoptionRelief

I attended an adoption seminar put on by by an adoption consultant team from Georgia. They have established an adoption consultant out here in KC that we think is wonderful. I sat and watched my friends speak, and saw a room filled with people who are about ready to put themselves in front of a tsunami of sorts, and I was thrilled.

Danielle and I fully intend on adopting, and the debate was whether we adopt before we have biological children, or after, or intermixed. Due to our own biology, it is decided at least that we will have biological children first, and possibly interweave our children as time goes forth.

Many of my close friends know and have supported my interest in this for years. I tried to figure out how I could ever adopt myself, but had to settle for simply anonymously contributing to adoption, and now the possibility and reality of adopting myself is so exciting.

I am excited that Danie is pregnant, and the challenges of a new baby are sometimes daunting. You would think I would be confident, and in some ways I am. In others, I simply think "Having babies is for young people"!!! LOL. Turning 38 in a few weeks I realize Im just not the same as I was 13+ years ago!

But a part of me is just as excited in adopting. The experience, and the challenge. The reality that there is someone out there God is keeping ready for me to have in spite of the nature of unplanned or unwanted pregnancy is fascinating.

However the one thing that keeps coming up is the inevitable difficulty of adoption itself. Honestly, I dont know that it should ever be easy enough to be undertaken lightly. It is as much a sacrament to me as any other example because the power of desiring a child that you did not conceive is an eternal testimony to the transcendent message of Gods love. In fact, Im paying out of pocket for our bio-child, and an adopted child will probably be much more expensive. The cost, the investment, the labor will in some ways be greater to go get this baby than having one naturally.

But once the commitment is made, the process is much, much too difficult. Especially in light of what I believe is a coming wave of obedience and repentance about this issue by the body of Christ. The simple reality of the current status of adoptions necessitates a different model, let alone the reality of a much hoped for change in the ability of women to abort children and add an overwhelming amount of orphans into a broken system.

In attending this seminar, I realized that while I could continue to pour my efforts into generating revenue to donate, I have other skills and abilities that bring help. By nature, Im a crazy odd combination of skill sets that allow me to be creative, and analytical at the same time. I dont know how or why. Data structures and process make sense to me. And in listening to the presentation, I realized a few things, and they connected. Some are obvious, and some are silly, and some are my personal convictions. And I hope to provide some "Adoption Relief" coming soon.

No comments: