Monday, August 11, 2008

Updates From DC

Well we have been here in DC for a week. We stayed the first half of last week in Maryland, right by Annapolis. We had sucha pleasant time, Danie and I remarked how we felt like it was a luxurious vacation!

Then we moved into the DC area, and things got rough. We knew going in we were going to be part of an IHOP/Cal type situation, and we were certainly on target! Organizing this scale of an event is hard. Doing it with free labor (interns) is even harder. Doing it with no budget is even harder still.

Things have stablilized. It is far more consuming then even we expected. I doubt we will get to do anything we hoped, even on a small scale. That is a real dissapointment, but it is part of the deal.

Irael is having a GREAT time! We drop her off int he morning, and get her back at dinner, and can see the wildness and the fun she is having as only parents can. I have to interpret her behavior and actions, ask questions, and try to figure out what it is like to be 13 years od and galavanting all over the Capital with 100+ other wild eyed teens. All I know is she is flying, and it makes me content.

Judah went to the Smithsoniam yesterday, and saw the Hope diamond. She reported it was a complete disappointment! LOL. It is the size of a walnut. This is the grls who found out about the gems and minierals at the Smithsonian online, and absorbed herself in them and decorated her computer with all sorts of pictures.

All said, you hit a point as a parent where you are far more content seeing your kis having fun and doing exciting things than you could ever feel doing them yourself. It is sincerely worth it. These opportunites are so wonderful, and I am so grateful. I am living in a townhouse in Capitol Hill, with great people, watching my kids grow and explore. Im not sure I could contain any more than this.

2 comments:

Christina Wolkenfeld said...

Great update, good to hear what's going on. Zeb is good, a little lonly and when i am home he follows me everywhere. He misses his pack and his pack leader ;)

Vanessa said...

What a great commentary on being a parent. I really look forward to being a mom in the future and hearing things like that makes me more excited. It's so cool how God uses everything to make us more like Him.