Thursday, January 22, 2009

I love making bread






I got inspiried to make bread. Not sure when. I ALWAYS loved bread. In all its forms. I havent met bread I dont like yet.






But I NEVER baked. Except for PotRoast. Then I thgouth "Why not some Pita". Then Pita was easy. Then I thought "Why not some big boy bread" and then I got messed up.






Im not interested in off the shelf crap. Panera is ok in a pinch, but I want good bread. An in my opinion,t he most authentic bread is naturally levened, i.e. Soudough.






The more sour the better for me. However it isnt about how sour, i is the fact there is only really 3 ingredients in my bread. Flour, Water, and Salt. It levens without heavy spur flavor if I want it to.






I wont go into how I made the starter,but it was easy. Im convinced Ihave true sourdough starter even though I used yeast at one point. I made one with grapes, but in a community with Nazarites, I didnt want them to screw up their vow on my end.






Anyhow, the most success I have had is not with the super sour, San Francisco type bread, although that is like my favorite. It is a whole wheat based bread. I dont knwo why, but Im getting far more achievement in this than I should.






Every loaf I make is better than the last with this bread. I made some Rejuvalac, and kept the sprouted wheat berries, and added them to my bread this time. I also added millet, and polenta (corn grits). In the last pic you can see the grains. Next time Im going to do more than soak. Im going to slightly sprout, then mix it witht he leven to ferment it slightly. The nutrition in this bread is almost unbeatable as far as bread goes. Very bio-available and complex carbohydrates.



Here are pictures. THanks so much to Rchard Lewellen who totally inspiried me and gave me books and ideas. Come over for TOAST!












2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Sean,
I'm soaking wheatberries and have had success with waffles and quick batter coffee cakes and such - but haven't tried soaking/ sprouting for bread. Any 'how-to' posts?
Enjoy your blog! Hello to your fun family. Any time you're in DC - we expect you to stay with us. :+)
Gretchen, Doug and the boys

Jeannie said...

yum, makes me hungry- and inspired, I need to go and dig my whole grains out of the freezer and get back to making bread. New babies in the house kinda mess up schedules and available time!