Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A strange Sense of Gravity

I found out Sunday that there is a meeting for all musicians cleared to be on teams here at IHOP. Every month they have a meeting on the second Monday for the musicians and "worship leaders". Every even month all musicians attend.

When I got there, I had a strange sense. I didn't expect it. I looked around the room, and I realized that this whole machine of IHOP/FOTB, as big as it is, was really only staffed by a couple hundred musicians. That may sound like a lot, but if you look at 2 prayer rooms, and almost constant 24 hour sets (JPR isnt always 24 hr), broadcast all over the world, you realize how much is getting done with far less than it seems.

Then I also had another interesting sense. I began to realize, I was a part of this. Albeit in a very small, almost insignificant way. I play on a few teams, but I play electric guitar primarily. If I dont play, it really doesnt change anyones experience of the music.

But the point was, Im in a room full of people, who have about the only 24 hour, mature, and focused prayer room I know about. And there is a tremendous prophetic history to this. And my personal history is tied event wise to this. Lou Engle spoke about having significant events in his life occurring at the same time that events were happening at IHOP. I have several scenarios like that I have come ot realize since we have been here.

Im actually a part of something, and it is a pretty cool something. It is significant, and helps people all over the world. It has a history, and a prophetic future that is integral to the work of the Kingdom. How did I get here?

And then I began to realize how comfortable I am with leadership here. This is the first time I know of personally, where I can look right at people who are leaders, and see the elements of leadership and servanthood God has described and related to me over the last 7-8 years. Im actually very comfortable with claims and directions and actions taken by the people here. It really doesn't have that sick and twisted element that communities I have been involved with before have had.

There is an ongoing self critique of leadership style and content, doing everything possible to make sure it is about God, not us. On every level. From the way things are set in vision, tot he way correction is handled, to the way ministry is conducted.

I especially like the emphasis on not adding anything to the work of Holy Spirit. Staying out of the way as much as possible, and keeping theatrics and "signature" exhibitions of charismatic behavior out of day to day ministry. I love a good old Holy Spirit swamping, but I also feel comfortable knowing Im free not to draw any attention,a nd my goal tis to help someone be as focused on God as possible, staying out of the way. Mike said it very well "We just dont want anyone doing anything that could, in anyway, draw attention or intrigue to ourselves. We dont need to do anything to demonstrate how special we are during ministry to someone. We need ot be people who ALREADY KNOW HOW SPECIAL WE ARE, and because of that, dont have to exaggerate or distract. "

That isnt his exact quite, but it was very similar.

Im really blessed. Danie and I have talked about this a lot. We both feel so comfortable being here, and a part of this community. The way God leads here, via people as well as His own direct communication, is so helpful, and so easy. The goals and objectives are consistent with what we believe and understand. The openness to Holy Spirit, as well as the call to personal integrity is wonderful.

I cannot believe Im a part of this. All I can do is say thank you to so many, who have spent so much of themselves, to provide me with such opportunity. And I might never get to.

1 comment:

Marci Lewellen said...

Wow... I am so glad you posted this... This is great news!

And, I love that you love to be here because I love to be here and I love that we are all here together...